Monday, November 29, 2010

AND WE'RE BACK!

Did ya miss me??? No? Oh. Well I sure missed you guys!

Texas was good. Here are the highlights:

-I went to a wedding and a funeral in the same week. I feel like I should say something about the circle of life or how one story's ending is another's beginning, etc...but to be honest it really just felt like a bit of an emotional overload.

-I got to have Thanksgiving with my family for the first time in two years. My poor mom thought she was having a quiet Thanksgiving with just my dad, brother, and sister this year, and then SURPRISE! Fourteen people came! It was so great to be home. My family is the best family.

-I finally ate THE sandwich. I'm somewhat embarrassed to tell you that somehow I made it through 23 Thanksgivings without ever eating a leftover Thanksgiving sandwich. I mean, I'd made a sandwich with leftover Thanksgiving turkey, but I've never been big on food mixing. (Those bowls from KFC? My worst nightmare.) It wasn't until Thanksgiving #24 that I decided to make the leap. I spent a full two weeks planning out the structure, and on Friday, November 26th, I had the best sandwich of my life: a rosemary roll with cranberry sauce on BOTH SIDES, turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, brown gravy, and stuffing. It was everything I ever hoped for.

-On an unrelated note, I gained two pounds in a week.

-Texas kicked me in the mouth. Or, rather, the nasal cavity. Why, Texas? No matter how much your weather messes with my sinuses, I just can't stay mad at you. I wish you could hear me try to say "good afternoon" when I answer the phone at work. It comes out sounding more like "gun ufderdud."

-Gary and I met our new nephew James! Well...newish. I knew he was six months old, but for some reason I was expecting an infant, so I was a little surprised when I walked into Gary's brother's house to find a burly manchild in a La-Z-Boy eating steak with a fork and a knife. Chunky blonde perfection itself.

-Speaking of perfection...I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I. Twice.

That's about all I can remember...the rest of the week is a cough-syrupy haze of food and emotions. And squeaking. More on that tomorrow.

No comments: