Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Question For George Strait

Alright, Georgie, let's get right to the point. I know you didn't actually write "Amarillo by Morning," but you certainly made it popular. So my question is this: Have you ever actually been to Amarillo? I had the misfortune of spending a few sleepless hours there a few nights ago, and, I'll be honest - it did inspire me to write music. But all the songs I wrote came out with titles such as:

"Amarillo - Where Dreams Go to Wither and Die"

"Putrid Hellhole of Pain"

And, my personal favorite,

"Please Don't Bury Me Here After I'm Inevitably Murdered in this Hotel"

So I was just curious as to what on God's green earth would compel someone to go there. I know the song's about making it to a rodeo...or is it? Let's take a look:

Amarillo By Mornin'
Up from San Antone
Everything that I got
Is just what I've got on.

When that sun is high in that Texas sky,
I'll be buckin' at the county fair.
Amarillo By Mornin'
Amarillo I'll be there.

They took my saddle in Houston,
Broke my leg in Santa Fe.
Lost my wife and a girlfriend,
Somewhere along the way.

After a careful reconsideration of the lyrics, I think I'm starting to catch the real meaning: This guy has lost everything, and is now heading to Amarillo to die. (Hey, that sorta fits right into my first song!) Why anyone would choose to have their last breath come in tasting of cow pies and unhappiness, I'll never know, but to each his own I guess.

No comments: