Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Egg-regious

As I mentioned last week, I've been trying to do this whole couponing thing...with marginal success. However I DID score a buy one get one free dinner at Macaroni Grill last Friday night - which meant Gary and I could actually afford to go on a date.

Did anyone else notice how I used the word score in reference to a coupon just now? I'm so embarrassing I can't even.

Anyway, this weekend I had a coupon for a buy one get one free - or BOGO as we in the coupon biz call it* - breakfast sandwich at McDonald's. Turns out the secret to getting Gary to agree to buy fast food instead of making something at home is to tell him part of it's free. All these years...I had no idea.

In order for the rest of this story to make sense, I should tell you that the coupon did stipulate that the coupon did not apply to items worth $1 or less.

The following is an accurate account of what happened when I got to the drive-thru.
McDonald's Employee: Welcome to McDonald's. How may I help you?
Me: Hi, I have a buy one get one free breakfast sandwich coupon, so I'd like to get a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit and a sausage biscuit.
McDonald's Employee: Um, I don't think you can use that for the sausage biscuit because it's on the dollar menu.
Me: Oh...not even as the free one? 
McDonald's Employee: No...I can give you a sausage and egg biscuit, but not a sausage biscuit.
I considered trying to explain to her that she was giving me a more expensive sandwich for free than the one I wanted - effectively costing McDonald's more money on top of saddling me with an unwanted egg patty - but I had no idea how long that would take and I was hungry, so instead Gary just got an extra layer of egg on his sandwich.

*I know. I'm literally gagging but I don't know how to make it stop.

No comments: