Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Foodius Maximus

I've been back on Weight Watchers for a little over a week and I'm happy to report that Sarah and Gary managed to make it through my first few days of food-deprived psychotic episodes relatively unscathed (meaning I never actually reached out and struck either of them. What they could not escape was crying. Good gravy, there was so much crying.*)

Anyway, now that I'm on the saner side of Sears, I thought I'd share some of the better recipes I've been making lately. I think the hardest part about eating healthy is not knowing what to cook, so hopefully these will serve as a nice alternative to rice cakes and huge gusts of wind.

Baja Fish Tacos with Chipotle Lime Slaw (7pts+ for 2 tacos) You guys. These are SO. GOOD. Like seriously, seriously good. AND fast. I really need to thank my parents again for being wonderful enough to buy me a gas grill for my birthday this year, because it has (Chris Traeger voice) *LIT'RALLY* changed my life. THANKS, PARENTS!

Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken (8 pts+) This was SUPER easy and would be really good on a salad.

Brown Sugar and Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin (6 pts+) This is easily the best thing I've ever made in the crockpot. Since I made this before I was back on the diet, I served it on Sara Lee dinner rolls which are REALLY BAD FOR YOU but oh sooo delicious. I'm borderline obsessed with those rolls.

Chicken Cordon Bleu (7 pts+) I'm not gonna lie to you: this recipe probably won't change your life. But it's still good! Really! I just felt like maybe it needed mustard for some reason. Or some butter. Probably it's butter. Why am I still including it, you ask? Because it's a healthy version of something I love and also because Sarah said it was good and I shouldn't be so hard on my own cooking. So there you go.

Crockpot Hoisin Chicken Wings (13 pts+) Thirteen points is a little on the high end of things I would normally make for dinner, but these would be great for those days when you get home and realize you still have 26 points left because all you've eaten is a turkey sandwich and a pickle. Also hoisin sauce is maybe my favorite food.

Grilled Chicken Stuffed with Basil and Tomato (4 pts+ for a 6 oz chicken breast) FOUR POINTS! That's right! And this was amazing. I actually cheated and marinated the chicken in Kraft Free Zesty Italian dressing for a couple hours, but I'm not even sure it needed it. This would probably also be good with some fresh mozzarella.

Pork Chops with Garlic and Wine (12 pts+) If you enjoy hearing your guests make this sound: mmmmmhgghgghmmhmmhmmm - then you should make this and serve it to them! It is seriously awesome. Eighteen cloves of garlic sounds like a lot, but once you put them in the skillet it doesn't really look like that many. Just make it, OKAY?

Ranch Roasted Red Potatoes (2 pts+) These are delicious and easy and cheap. AND. If you're a freak like me, you can make your own ranch dressing mix instead of buying the packets.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs (8 pts+) Even though chicken thighs kiiiinda gross me out (it is like impossible to trim all the fat off and have any meat left) these were delicious. And fast. Which are the two things I'm looking for in a dinner.

Anyway, I realize I'm not running a food blog here, but everybody's gotta eat, right? (Oh, you don't eat? Well uh...good for you. Let me know where I can send the flowers.) As for the rest of you, I hope you give these a try. I'll try to post some more good ones every once in a while in hopes that I can save someone from trolling the internet for healthy recipes and ending up making something that sounds really good but will ultimately result in ordering pizza and ruining their diet.

*Mmmm, gravy...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love food. And I love Harvard Sailing Team.