Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Movin' On Up

Ladies and gentlemen, I! Have! Arrived!

As of this past Sunday, I no longer buy my groceries at Walmart!

I recently read an article (read it here) about the relativity of the term rich. Some people said they would consider themselves rich if they brought home over 100K per year; others who were making 250K or more claimed that they were just getting by.

Personally, I believe there is a direct correlation between a person's socioeconomic status and where they buy their groceries. The stratification is as follows:
If you buy groceries at Walmart, you would fall into the Poor - Just Getting By category. BECAUSE WHY ELSE WOULD YOU WILLINGLY SUBJECT YOURSELF TO SUCH TORTURE WEEK AFTER WEEK?

If you buy groceries at King Soopers, Albertsons, Target Grocery, Safeway, etc., you fall into the Comfortable - Rich category.

If you buy groceries exclusively at Whole Foods, then you fall into one of two categories: either Straight Up Wealthy or Kind of a Douche. (I won't fault anyone for going in for a few select items here and there, but if you're spending as much on groceries as you are on rent, perhaps it's time to rethink your priorities.)
Some of you might be thinking that it's pretty douchey to devote an entire blog post to how rich I am now, but I disagree (which I suppose you might also find rather douchey, but hear me out.) We're still not making an obscene amount of money, but we are making about twice what we used to with Gary's new job, so yes. Going from scraping by on bills and having one car to suddenly having the means to do things like replace our two broken couches and consider taking a vacation makes me feel super rich in comparison.

No comments: