Tuesday, August 13, 2013

That's All She Wrote

I grew up listening to exactly three albums: Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs, Mike and the Mechanics' Beggar on a Beach of Gold, and last but most definitely not the least played, Genesis' I Can't Dance.

In fact, this was one of the first songs I ever learned all the lyrics to:



It was about the closest thing to Christian music I was ever exposed to as a child.

I recently told my mom a story about the rude awakening I received upon starting kindergarten and hearing all the other kids talk about some band I'd never heard of called Ace of Base*. You can imagine my five-year-old world spiraling out of control as I asked sheepishly, "Wait...you guys don't know who Genesis is?"

Then she laughed for an hour.

Fast-forward to present day. All I can listen to lately is classic rock because most of the songs that come on my indie station were already depressing enough without all the extra hormones...and no matter how hard I try, listening to booty shakin' music makes me feel like a bad mother. (Insert morbid joke about Booty Shaken Baby Syndrome here.)

So that is the story of how yesterday this song organically came on a station that I have fine-tuned to suit my own interests, finally and conclusively bringing my life full circle.

 
*Which I quickly and obediently learned to love, but can I please just point out that the word they were looking for was clearly B-A-S-S? What, they don't have editors in Sweden?

No comments: