Wednesday, September 25, 2013

salt SALT salt

SALT-SALT-SALT-SALT-SALT SALT N PEPA'S HERE!

Just kidding. It's salt and caramel.

Sorry, sometimes 90's pop songs take over my body and I'm suddenly unable to communicate like a normal human.

I should start by telling you that I am a latte person. Like, I can drink regular coffee...as long as it's mixed with a gallon of flavored creamer and ten sugars and no longer even remotely resembles coffee.

This explains why, even though Gary makes a perfectly good pot of coffee every morning (assuming such a thing exists) I justified nursing a Dutch Bros. habit far longer than I could afford it. I always had some vague plans in the back of my mind to buy an espresso machine and a steaming wand someday so I could start making lattes at home, but until then it seemed to make more sense to just spend $4 a day on something that isn't even food.

I know. I'm the reason we're poor.

Anyway, I recently discovered that you TOTALLY do not need any of that expensive equipment to make lattes at home. Like legit, delicious ones. All you need is a pot, a whisk and a regular old coffeemaker.

LET'S DO THIS THING.
Salted Caramel Mocha

Ingredients
1 cup milk
1/4 cup coffee (Gary makes his pretty strong so you may decide you need more)
2 tbsp Torani Salted Caramel Syrup (I bought this at Walmart so it shouldn't be too hard to find)
1 tbsp Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a small pot and heat over medium heat, whisking regularly until hot.

AND THAT'S IT.

It is seriously the easiest thing ever and I can't believe it's taken me this long to figure it out. It takes about the same amount of time you would spend in a drive thru somewhere. Obviously you can use this formula for whatever flavor you want - it's also really good with the pumpkin spice syrup I posted a couple weeks ago.

If you want to get crazy, throw down a little whipped cream, caramel sundae syrup and sea salt on top...and then immediately eat it with a spoon because you can't put the lid on your travel mug and also because eating whipped cream off a hot drink is like the best thing I can think of right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bet if you threw all of that in the blender it would froth it up all fancy like. I throw my drip coffee and coconut oil in the blender and my result is a frothy delicious looking coffee. :)